Glanbia Ireland is a world-class, ambitious, integrated agri-food and nutrition business, with a diverse portfolio of quality ingredients, leading consumer and agri brands with the proven talent to succeed in the global market.
Glanbia Ireland owns leading consumer and agri brands such as Avonmore, Kilmeaden Cheese, Premier Milk, Wexford, mymilkman.ie and GAIN Animal Nutrition. It processes a 2.6
billion litre milk pool from 21 counties and exports high quality dairy and agri ingredients as well as branded products to over 60 countries.
With annual revenue of €1.8 billion, Glanbia Ireland has 11 processing plants, 53 agri branches and over 1,800 employees. This position will report to the R&D Technical Manager of the AgriChemWhey research project and will be based in Lisheen, Moyne, Co. Tipperary.
The Scientist will be responsible for scale-up fermentation processes from Pilot to industrial commercial scale. In addition, the candidate is expected to lead all fermentation practices at
Pilot Scale, drive all fermentation related continuous improvement and create a best-in-class fermentation process for the AgriChemWhey project.
To fulfil these responsibilities, the Scientist will provide technical leadership to the broader team consisting of technicians, assistant scientists, scientists, and senior scientists. The applied research will involve all aspects of the manufacturing process which includes, but is not limited to, upstream, fermentation & downstream processing including mass balance analysis, Emphasis is placed on improving product performance (i.e. increasing fermentation yield, enhancing cell counts, reducing cost, nutrient optimisation and stability of fermentation process.
- Provide technical leadership for all fermentation processes including optimizing current fermentation processes, and scaling up products/processes from pilot to
- Execute the project portfolio as fermentation lead using project management and Six Sigma principles to achieve project objectives and deliverables.
- Work within cross-functional teams across the project team to support project delivery.
- Proactively identify and deliver analytical optimisations opportunities.
- Keep technically abreast of relevant developments in the field to identify new opportunities.
- Work with Technical, Operations, commercial and QC teams to ensure seamless commercialisation and product release.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in the following or related areas: dairy science, food science, food engineering, microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology, or related field.
- Preferred knowledge and hands-on experience with lactic acid bacteria physiology, genetics, and food fermentation systems.
- Background in pilot lab and industrial scale fermentations utilizing best available technologies for knowledge and discovery based improvement of lactic acid bacteria.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of developing and enhancing the performance of strains through fermentation, downstream processing, and application testing.
- Working knowledge of intellectual property and writing patents
- Must have good listening and facilitating skills to work within a diverse, multinational work environment.
- Strong data analysis and attention to detail required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Supervisory/management experience.
- HPLC, ICP, Ion-Exchange experience a distinct advantage.
- Experience of Lean or Six Sigma
- Problem Solving and Judgement – Results focused while always focused on finding a better way.
- Teamwork – Ability to work and win together.
- Innovation – Continuous improvement mindset to create best-in-class processes.
- Strategic Thinking – find a better way.
Glanbia Ireland is a joint venture 60% owned by Glanbia Co-op and 40% owned by Glanbia plc. Established in July 2017, it combines Glanbia Ingredients Ireland, Glanbia Consumer Products and Glanbia Agribusiness.
If you are interested in this position, please apply through the My Career portal on the Glanbia Homepage with an up to date resume.